Skip to main content

When it comes to investing…..are we our own worst enemy?

Working in the resources industry can be tough. Remote locations, long hours and time away from family and friends can take its toll. The experience can of course be rewarding, particularly when it comes to income and the ability to plan for the future. However, it’s easy to become distracted especially when it comes to investing.
Whether it be buying your first home, or in investment property, starting a share portfolio or investing your super, we are all at the mercy of the markets. 
Property markets down south are enduring a bit of a downturn at the moment, interest rates are low so money in the bank isn’t earning much and share markets around the world have been up and down. The fact is, markets are unpredictable.
Just look at commodities. Some of the biggest companies in the world have trouble predicting coal, iron ore and oil prices. Trying to predict the ups and downs is often impossible. The key is to remove emotion from your decision making process. Investors tend to get greedy and “bullet proof” in rising markets and fearful in falling markets.
One of the world’s largest investment fund managers, Vanguard, has just released a study of returns across 600 Australian investment funds and found that about 90% of the return is as a result of the selection of the underlying asset i.e. where the money is invested. The other 10% is attributable to an investor trying to time markets…….i.e. buy low and sell high. History shows that those who ignore the ups and downs and simply focus on choosing the right assets over time will enjoy a much better return.
A perfect example of this can be found in our own local share market. The Australian share market hit a high in late August last year and then we had a series of “events” such as the on going Brexit debacle, the US/China trade war and fluctuating commodity prices. This caused markets to drop, investor fear set in and markets dropped further and eventually levelled out just prior to Christmas. Since then, our local market has been recovering and is up about 10% for the month.
Even the best fund managers in the world can’t predict the ups and downs, so what chance have we got as investors?
One of the best ways to smooth out the bumpy ride, particularly when it comes to your superannuation, is to diversity across high quality assets. Using funds that invest across different asset types and sticking to your investment strategy over the long term will allow you to not get in the way of your own success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Times are tough. How can you position yourself to minimise the impact?

The last few weeks have been extraordinary to say the least. We’re battling a world wide health crisis and we face uncertainty in many aspects of our lives.  It’s true that there are simply some things beyond our control and we will more than likely see many changes to our everyday lives for the remainder of 2020 and beyond. So, what can be done?  On the other side of this, many people will be left with dramatic financial stress, whether it be periods of unemployment, depleted cash reserves or battered superannuation balances.  And for many, timing will be an issue. Those who were weeks ago contemplating retirement may now need to change their plans. And those that are still accumulating for retirement have more than likely just seen their investments and superannuation return to levels of 5 or 6 years ago. Essentially the clock has be wound back in one way or another.  It may well be a good time to take stock and lay some foundations for when things do recover (which they

Hindsight Wealth Office Walk Through Message

When Socks and Jocks don’t cut it anymore.

We have a solution  to avoid the old favourites: socks and jocks this Father’s Day.  As this weekend is Father’s Day, the focus should be on Dad.  You can purchase the actual book or the digital copy  so Dad can access year - round savings from his smart phone.  Part proceeds from your purchase, also helps a local Brisbane charity:  Be Uplifted Inc Breast Cancer Charity – so everyone wins!  Click here  to purchase Dad his Entertainment Book subscription. Another gift you could give Dad is encouragement.  To encourage Dad to have a conversation with a financial adviser about his super and insurances.  Why?  Maybe Dad has started a new job or had a promotion. Maybe Dad is nearing retirement? When our lifestyle changes or work situation changes, it affects your super + insurances. Reviewing these regularly will make sure Dad stays on track. Perhaps you know Dad has a few super funds hanging out there from previous jobs. This can affect a few things – especially Dad’s back pocke